18% Sales Tax
The general value-added tax (VAT or IVA in Spanish) is 18%. Reduced rates include 4% and 7%.
Tax Refund for Non-EU residents above 90 €
Non EU residents are entitled to reclaim the 18% VAT. A purchase must be above 90 € and made at shops offering "Tax Free" or "Global Refund" shopping (see logos below).
90% of Barcelona shops
90% of the shops in Barcelona joined the TAX FREE shopping system. Look for the below logos in the windows of shops or next to the cashier.
Some member shops do not display the logos. If you cannot find them, ask the staff if they are a member.
Only goods taken out of the country personally
You can reclaim VAT only after products that you take out of the contry on your own. You are not eligible for reimbursement after products that you ship home or send with a courrier.
Process of the refund
1. ASK in shop if they are members of the TAX FREE Spain Refund service
2. PURCHASE items
(Purchase must be over 90 € in Spain. There exist national variations)
3. REQUEST the tax refund checks
4. Shop FILLS OUT checks and HANDS them over to you
5. COLLECT all checks during holidays
6. TAKE checks with you to airport when you leave
7. BEFORE check-in, PRESENT refund checks at custom
(Custom may ask you to show items before stamping checks)
8. Custom STAMPS checks and hands check back to you
(All checks issued in EU contries may be stamped at Spanish custom regardless of country of purchase)
9. CASH checks at any Bureau de Change